Tuesday, March 3, 2015

90 looks good on her

An important person in my life turns 90 tomorrow, March 4. In her outlook on life, in her open-minded acceptance of others, in her faith and the way she lives it, she is, without doubt, my favorite role model.

Her name is Jaye, and for the past 35 years she's been there when I needed someone to listen -- really listen -- to whatever was on my mind. She saw me through the ups and downs of parenthood, put her own concerns on hold when one of my kids was hospitalized and always left me feeling that somehow, all would be well.

I've known a lot of people who weren't close to their parents. I can't imagine what that might be like. I lucked out. I've still got my mother, age 102, and though we live 400 miles apart we're still close. And I've got my other mom -- my mother-in-law, Jaye. I hope someday I can be as supportive of my grown children and their families as she has been of me and mine.

Thanks, Mom. And happy, happy 90th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment