Thursday, October 15, 2009

Forecast from hell

The man in line ahead of me at the market yesterday was glued to the little TV monitor that's permanently tuned to The Weather Channel.

Me? I was in my late-afternoon stupor, waiting for the people ahead of me to cash out and leave.

A single word from the TV monitor woke me from my daydream: snow.

Say what?

"Here we go," sighed the man in front of me. "You watch. One day soon the north country's gonna get clobbered. It's gonna be one of those years. I can just feel it."

I went into denial mode. Snow? On Oct. 15? It couldn't be. For crying out loud, there was a robin in our pine tree this morning.

But then, en route to the grandchild's day care center this morning, I saw it: tiny white flakes hitting my windshield.

Now I hear that we're under a winter storm watch for the next day and a half.

This is someone's idea of a sick joke, right?

Right?

4 comments:

  1. Hope you got your fill of autumn colors earlier, Mary. I saw snow yesterday, driving home from Ithaca mid-afternoon. And, now, have to go to Fishkill today. Hoping the Catskills aren't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We woke to a healthy dusting of snow this morning -- and lots and lots of bent-over saplings and shrubs. In fact, it's snowing as I write this, and the storm watch has been extended to Sunday. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I was a follower of yours in the newpaper and was was not happy when I could not find your column any longer...but was then given the info about your blog....will be looking forward to your entries...keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete