Monday, December 14, 2009

No drama

We put up the Christmas tree last night. There were no serious injuries.

Actually, my husband assembled the tree, which we chose a couple of years ago because a) we didn't have to plod through deep snow to cut it down and b) it comes with lights already in place.

We fought the good fight with real trees for 27 of our 30 years together, making sure our growing children would get to enjoy the scent of fresh pine in their own living room. I'm happy to report that they both have good memories of those trips to the tree farm (and the hot chocolate and doughnuts that usually followed those trips).

I do miss the smell of pine and the way the cat would nap beneath the tree. She shows no interest in this tree that came out of a box.

But I don't miss the drama.

Anyone who ever watched their dad wrestle with a tree, a tree stand and a snarled-up string of lights knows what I mean. My memories of those wrestling matches include the night my dad threatened to pick up the tree, which was half-strung with lights and clearly not cooperating, out the front door and into the street. He'd had a tough day.

Last night, sitting on our couch with no other lights than the lights on the tree shining, I honestly couldn't tell the thing was a fake. But I know it is. And I'm OK with it.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the years of going out with my brother and Dad (my mother was the smart one - she stayed home)....one year going out and it was up a hill....dad lost his footing and with the coat he had on, he just slid down that hill....did not need a sled at all...we met him at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. God bless the dads who did "tree duty" for our sakes.

    ReplyDelete