Friday, December 4, 2009

Random acts

The university where I teach is mourning the death of an emeritus professor who died today after being stabbed by a man believed to be a graduate student. Already people are saying this isn't the sort of thing that happens around here. But, sadly, it does.

After all, this community was the site of a massacre in April when a man shot 13 innocent people to death during an English class for immigrants. We just don't like to be reminded that we're like every place else.

I don't think I'll feel frightened when I return to campus next week. I do expect to feel sad. I did not know the professor who died, but his death at the hands of another member of the campus community will cast a pall over the last week of classes -- and beyond.

The shootings in April were followed by remarkable acts of kindness and generosity by the community. I hope for a similar response on campus. I promise to commit at least one random act of kindness next week. I plan to ask my students to do the same. Because it's going to take a lot of goodness to overcome the evil that claimed a life this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment