Sunday, September 6, 2009

Eight years already?

This Friday marks the eighth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Here's what I wish Americans would do to honor those who were taken from us that day: Stop shouting at each other.

I can't recall a time -- at least in recent memory -- when the country seemed so ticked off. How can we expect our children to become responsible, open-minded adults if they grow up listening to their elders ranting and raving at those who don't see the world the same way they do?

In the immortal words of Rodney King, can't we all just get along -- at least a little better than we have been?

5 comments:

  1. While I agree, Mary, I want you to know that I don't think the yelling is stopping the young people who want to be involved in the discussion. I was at a party last night and had the most intriguing and thought-provoking conversation with a 20 year old about this country, its current situation both regarding the economy, the education system and the government, and why his peers are not as involved as he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's encouraging. I work with this age group and am often surprised at how unaware many of them are of current events. Not a good thing in a journalism class!

    Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Mary you should wish these kids would unplug their Ipod's and turn off their cell phones and maybe just maybe they will pay attention to the world around them instead of just their world.

    It is my opinion however this is what our leaders want an uninformed society so as there will be no one to make an informed decision and they keep their jobs. Just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An uninformed electorate is precisely what I fear we're becoming as traditional news media undergo a sea change and there are fewer reporters to keep tabs on government. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree, very scary. And it will continue as long as people don't demand more from their news agencies. Just remember Mary "Write for the web, update for print"

    ReplyDelete