Friday, September 4, 2009

You have to start somewhere ...

I've been putting off starting this blog for a few months now, ever since my part-time newspaper job went the way of the wind. I'd guessed for some time that my days at the paper were numbered, given the state of the industry, but it's still difficult to accept that my days as a newspaper columnist are likely behind me.

But that hasn't stopped me from thinking like a columnist, imagining how I might turn day-to-day experiences into commentaries others can relate to. Hearing from readers that something I've written has touched them, or that they've recognized themselves in my words -- well, that's what I miss most about writing a column.

So here I am, ready to start again, hoping you'll find something here that's worth your time -- and that this new venue will allow us to speak more directly to each other.

7 comments:

  1. Mary - I am so glad to see you writing where we can all read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! I just launched the blog on Friday, Sept. 4, and hope to post at least every other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I'm so glad Chris Strub alerted me to your new blog! You're on my RSS feed -- I miss your column, and your eloquent writing, so much. Consider me a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kristen -- I need all the encouragement I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you out here and still having the urge to write. We miss you every Sunday/Monday on the copy desk.

    - Chris K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Chris -- I like having the free time but do miss hanging out with the copy desk. You're the good guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to think so, anyway. I take out motto from the Hippocratic Oath: First, do no harm.

    Oh, and no shame spiral. ;)

    ReplyDelete